Sunday, November 4, 2007

Florence to Barcelona: No More Trains!

So, the overnight train from Florence to Nice was no what we were expecting. Our previous night train had reclining seats, a pillow, sleep mask, and ear plugs; we couldn't have asked for much more other than a bed. We were given the opportunity to sleep in beds for the Nice train but that would have cost us 35 euro rather than the 5 euro seat fee. We elected to take the seats but now realize that the savings will not outweigh the Chiropractor bill. Needless to say I had one of the worst sleeps of the trip. Not to mention there were conductors coming in every once in awhile to check tickets and passports.


However, after stepping off the train in Nice, we realized that our luck had changed. The weather in Nice was incredible - at least for this time of the year. The sun was shining and it was probably about 23 degrees. Good weather and being on the Mediterranean Sea means swimming! We were throwing the frisbee on the rocky beach when I didn't realize my own power (<--) and threw it into the sea. I ran and dove to get the frisbee before it sank - luckily finding it sitting on the bottom - when I realized how freezing cold the water was. I thought it would have been warmer but instead I walked out full of goosebumps. We ended up going back in because we had to say we swam in the Mediterranean. Unfortunately, we only had one day in Nice - oh so close to where an episode of Entourage was shot - and then had to leave on another long train ride to Barcelona. The first half of this train was excellent; France trains are the best. As for the second half, lets just say I got to see a 4 hour show in the seats, and throughout the car, in front of me. Two kids were talking loudly, standing on their seats, and running up and down the asile. And it seemed like the parents were encouraging this behaviour. But enough of the train complaints. We eventually arrived at the Barcelona train station after seeing the gorgeous French and Spanish countrysides.

There wasn't a lot to do in Barcelona so we made it another relax city, just like Budapest. The 'B' cities have been good to us. The hostel was similar to the Bubble in Budapest too in the way that they both are small, making it easy to meet people. We walked around the city seeing some of the weird buildings designed by the architect Gaudi. Below is a picture of the famous cathedral that he designed.


We also walked down Las Ramblas, which was basicallay a circus on the street. Lining the sides of the street were buskars and street performers dressed in ridiculous costumes and doing some of the weirdest things I've ever seen. Check my Barcelona pictures to see some of these characters. This is what happens during the day but once night rolls around the second face of Las Ramblas comes out. Once again people line the streets and try to make money but through other means. While walking down the street I could not even count how many times I heard these people say 'charlie!' or 'hashish!' And of course there's the prostitutes that don't hesitate to grab your arm and try to convince you to go with them. I have to admit though, this was a very cool side of the city that I could have only imagined about before. To me, the most interesting experiences are the ones that I would never see back home.

Anyway, that breifly sums up my Barcelona experience. Of course there was more to my stay than what I have talked about but none of them beat the craziness of Las Ramblas. As a final note, I need tips on getting off a McDonald's diet. I have been eating it too much. But there is a somewhat reasonable explanation. That being, there is no other food in Barcelona or Paris. McD's knows how to strategically place their restaurants. Also, after going through about 5 countries without Starbuck's, Barcelona and Paris have brought them back to me. The morning ritual is now to go straight to a Starbuck's and then see the attractions. Alright, that's enough blabering about my eating habits.

2 comments:

mom said...

Hi,

I had to get out the atlas to see exactly where Nice and Barcelona are. Glad you had a dip in the Mediterranean.
There must be something better that McDonalds, or is the other food too expensive.

Mom

Unknown said...

Nice pictures. I had visited Barcelona in 2000, so it was time visit it again one more time. This year I toke a week for holidays and we went to Barcelona to visit a friend there. The experience was amazing and I found the city more fascinating than I remembered it. It's a cosmopolitan city with a lot of wonderful places to visit and enjoy. Its inhabitants are very friendly and helpful and they're very pleased to help you giving some information. It is a fabulous city, filled with amazing Gaudi architecture, great restaurants, a pretty harbour and good shopping and good choice of many hotels in Barcelona. I could spend days just wandering around in the old quarters with their narrow streets, browsing in shops and stopping off for a coffee or some tapas. It is really magic city.