Monday, October 29, 2007

When In Rome

I attempted to leave you hanging last post. Did it work? I wish I could say 'we missed it' just to add a twist to the story but we jumped on the train seconds before it pulled out of the station. After weaving our way through the people asking us to stay at their hostel we left the terminal walked five minutes to our hostel. The first day we just walked around checking out a few of the many sites to see in Rome. However, we were very disappointed to see scaffolding covering about half, if not more, of the buildings and statues. I guess that is what we could for going in the off season. Below is the fountain of four rivers while under renovation.


Regardless of all the annoying scaffolding Rome was gorgeous, especially the Colleseum and Roman Forum. Being a structural engineer I was especially impressed with the size of the structures that they built over 2000 years ago. And they're still standing, well mostly. I can't help but wonder how they designed the columns and arches that long ago, when today we have complicated design procedures to follow. Have I bored you yet? Because I can keep going.


While avoiding being hit by the tons of scooters whizzing around we finally made it to Trevi Fountain. That reminds me, we forgot to go see the Spanish Steps. That's too bad. Anyway, I was standing beside Trevi Fountain just about to throw the coin when I thought 'which shoulder am I supposed to throw the coin over?' So, I chose the left because I thought the picture would look better then. I chose the wrong shoulder. An American couple informed of this apparently well known fact. The fountain got a second coin from me that day.


I almost forgot to talk about Vatican City where we had the pleasure of lining up in some of the longest queues ever. Even the womens washroom line up was huge! But we did get to see the Pope. We couldn't believe that we were going to see him because it seemed like such a rare event. But then we found out he speaks every Wednesday. So, I guess we were still lucky to see him but it made the queues for the Basilica and Vatican Museums longer.


Over 200 pictures later, we miraculously finished our tour of Rome in one and a half days. With an extra day we decided to venture outside Rome. We went to one of the mob centers of Italy and where the pickpocketers thrive. I am talking about Naples. Fortunately, we escaped with al our belongings. As much as I wanted to meet the mob, that was not my main reason for going there. I wanted to visit Pompeii and Mount Vesuvias. Our late arrival left us with choosing one or the other though. After much reluctance we chose Pompeii - an over 2000 year old city preserved under ash after the Mount Vesuvias eruption. It was very cool to walk up and down the streets of the uncovered city, that is still being dug up.

If you recall from my previous post, I mentioned that we were heading back to Florence to see the Museums that were closed on Mondays. Well, there's a new addition to this story. We came back on a Thursday to find out by a tourist information lady that the museum employees were on strike all day. As unfortunate as this was, I couldn't stop myself from laughing at the situation. I guess we were just not meant to see the statue of David. With a whole day wasting away we decided to rub the pigs nose in the Signoria Square, which is supposed to give you good luck. I'm superstitous when it comes to the Leafs but I might have to change that now. We walked by the museum where David was hiding and there were people walking in FOR FREE! Well, the later isn't true but we did get to see the statue, which was far more impressive than I could have ever imagined. Before seeing the statue I just brushed it off as any ordinary statue but I take that back. The detail and immense size blew me away.


The picture above is a rarity as you're not supposed to take pictures of the statue. But still a lot of people sneakily were. I'll never forget the look on one middle aged guy's face when his flash went off while taking the picture. He was hiding behind a pillar with the camera at stomach height. In my head I was giving him congratulations for his seemingly flawless effort until *FLASH*. Everyone turns and looks at him as he looked down at his camera with a puzzled face that spoke 'how did that just happen, I didn't do that.' While shrugging his shoulders, he nonchalantly walked backwards behind the pillar. It was gold! I feel his awkwardness though, as my camera's flash has accidently gone off while taking pictures in museums.


After buying my new camera (no more pink pictures) we caught an overnight train to Nice. I'll save that absolutely wonderful experience (how do you put sarcasm in writing?) with you in my next post. Until next time, just...just keep on truckin'.

4 comments:

mom said...

Hi,

Your pictures are wonderful. Nice camera. I love the pictures of Rome. I'll have to look up mine from when I was there in high school. Isn't the coloseum amazing.Did you think of Gladiator.
Pompei is neet also. I was there
Mom

the striped apron said...

Hey man, when do you guys get home? Also, when I was in Rome in January (i realize Jan is winter and it's still autumn) but the Spanish steps weren't much to see at that time, not the beautiful flowers lining them like one sees in the postcards...so you may not have missed much there.

Anyway, hope the rest of the trip is a blast, I want to hear ALL the stories when you get back and visit Guelph (possibly the most exciting city you will see from the past 3 months). <-- ps, THAT is how you put sarcasm in type.

Caleb said...

I'm starting to plan a trip backpacking through Europpe next spring. What do you recommend as the best way to coutnry hop between most western European countries?

Andrew Ross said...

Definitely the best way is by train. We went by train everywhere, except for two flights, and it worked out perfectly.

I recommend getting a eurail pass. They have many options on their website. There are global (what I got) and regional passes. I think you may also be able to combine certain countries.