Thursday, October 18, 2007

Relaxing Budapest

After 35 days of travelling my body finally gave in to all the walking and training. I needed a rest city; the three of us needed a rest from the constant moving around. And there is no better place than a city known for their baths and spas. Naturally we had to check a bath out. It was exactly what we needed. One of baths was basically a giant hot tub with people relaxing and playing chess.

Along with the baths we actually slept in each night too! Sleeping in has been a rarity on this trip. I think the atmosphere of the Budapest Bubble is what did it to us. The Budapest Bubble is the hostel we stayed at and I have to say that it has been, by far, the best hostel yet! It was a small, cozy hostel run by a young, and extremely nice, Hugarian girl. And when I say extremely nice, I mean you couldn't even imagine someone nicer. She went out of her way for anything that we would have needed even after we may have caused a few problems for her; one of the minor ones being the lose of our keys, which was my fault. Everyone that we met there were good too. There were a few Israeli's, American's, and Aussie's.

Anyway, that's enough about the hostel. Budapest was a very cool city. It used to be two cities, Buda and Pest, until they merged together. We walked around both sides and found the Terror Museum on the Pest side which was very interesting. It was about the widespread terror caused by the Nazi's and Communist's on Hungary during the 1940's and 1950's. Think about the book 1984 but as a reality and with less care for people's lives; that was Hungary in that time. Everyone knows about the millions killed in the Holocaust during this time but the Russian's were actually worse. They killed a lot more civilians for no reason other than inflicting terror on the community.

Other than that museum it was a very relaxing city before heading back on the move. We were convinced by the Guelph girls (Jack's friends from home) to go to Salzburg. We have to thank them for that because it was awesome there. Probably better than Vienna, our originally planned city after Budapest. Anyway, I'll talk about Salzburg tomorrow as the internet is very slow here. That also means that I didn't get many pics up. I'm sorry but I'll get them up eventually. Until next time, cheers!

1 comment:

mom said...

Hi,

I am glad you got to rest up. The baths would be great. Salzburg looked beautiful in Jack's pictures. I look forward to seeing yours.
I am free from Carriage Square now!
Love Mom