Monday, October 8, 2007

Oktoberfest!!

As I said in my last post, the time has come to talk about Oktoberfest, or at least what I remember of it. Unfortuantely, I can't remember any of the songs anymore since it was so long ago that I was there. I didn't know what to expect of Oktoberfest until I saw the mass of people inside and outside the beer tents. Take the Milton fair and time it by...a lot. There were rides and games but we were most concerned about the beer tents. That's where the fun occurs.

When we stepped into the tent we couldn't believe our eyes. There was row upon row of tables. As the day went along people starting singing and standing on the benches. But by the end of the night everyone was singing, what they know, and standing on the benches while swaying the liter steins in the air. We learned most of the songs from the many Germans there. Who also loved Oktoberfest, which debunks the rumour that Germans hate Oktoberfest. A lot of people told me that Germans didn't like it because there were too many tourists. But there were probably just as many Germans as tourists on the day that we went.

We happened to go on Reunification Day so that could have been why there were a lot of Germans. When going to the bar at home, usually we would try to beat the line up by getting there before 10:30pm but here we were rushing to get there before 10:30am, and we still barely found a sit. There were about 5 or 6 tents that held a total of 100,000 people!! Over 6 million litres of beer are drank in the 5 week long Oktoberfest. I contributed my fair share to that number. Josh and I were so fixated on the good times that we forgot to eat lunch and dinner; that's especially unbelievabe for Josh.

Anyway, I have to leave this post short because I don't have anymore internet time. I just finished uploading pictures of the German countryside, which are some of the best yet. Until next post about beautiful Prague, prost!

No comments: