Friday, October 5, 2007

Don't Miss the German Countryside!

I haven't been able to get on the internet until here in Prague. There's too much to write about right now so I'm just going to talk about everything leading up to Oktoberfest. Oktoberfest deserves it's own post. I'm currently doing laundry so I will be typing very quickly so don't mind the spelling mistakes, not to mention that this keyboard is in Czech. Anyway, the German countryside was absolutely beutiful; way nicer than Berlin!

We visited Nuremburg, Wurzberg, and were supposed to visit Rothenberg but we missed our stop so we stayed in Treulingen. If I was able to upload pictures here you would see just how picturesque these towns are. In Nuremburg the Old Town was good but the highlight here was the Nazi Rally Grounds. There was a very eerie atmosphere here. I stood on the podium where Hitler gave his speeches; that was very weird. The history of the Nazi party was extremely interesting and I will have to read a book about it when I get home. I recommend you do the same if you haven't already. In Nuremburg we also visited the courthouse where the Nazi leaders were tried and convicted.

From Nuremburg we travelled to Wurzberg where once again we were lucky to find a hostel. We really need to start booking hostels before arriving in the town. But that is half the experience of backpacking, right? Wurzberg looked veryt historic despite being completely demolished in less than 24 hours in WWII. We decided to rent bikes here so that we could see all the city in as little time possible. Upon arrival to the top of the largest hill overlooking the city, we realized that there was no other way to see the city.

After leaving Wurzberg we were supposed to go to Rothenburg, an old town of 12,000 people. We actually booked a hostel for this place but never ended up there. Instead we went right through the station where we were supposed to transfer, but didn't know enough German to realize this, and ended up at the end of line, which was Treulingen. Fortunately, we were able to find a hotel, which was a nice change from hostels, and talk the lady down to letting us stay for 20 Euros. We're starting to enter places where we need to negotiate a little. This was a nice relaxing town. The weird part was that these past 3 cites/towns we visited shut down at around 8pm. Everything closes.

The next stop was Munich. The train was full of people dressed up in the German outfits (I can't remember what they are called) and ready to spend a whole day at Oktoberfest. I'll leave Oktoberfest fot my next post but I will say this: I don't think I've ever had so much fun in my life until this day. I also learned a lot of German songs and sayings here, which you will learn in my next post. Anyway, I better go get my laundry. Until next time, salute!