Friday, September 14, 2007

Eerie Edinburgh

I am here in Edinburgh right now and have just finished a ghosthunter tour. So, this post may have a frightening feel to it! The tour took us through the underground and graveyards and was a little creepy. Edinburgh is supposed to be full of ghosts and ghouls.

Despite the being scared in the tour, Edinburgh has been absolutely amazing! I wish we could spend a few more days here. The people I have met (a lot of Canadians) here are a lot fun. We were fortunate enough to go on a pub crawl last night with everyone. I believe by saying pub crawl implies a great time! Us 8 or 10 Canadians sang 'Oh Canada' at the top of our lungs in one of the pubs.

Also, 3 of Jack's Guelph friends are on a backpacking trip around Europe and we were able to meet up and go out a few times together. I have to admit it is nice hanging around with fellow Canadians. Sometimes it can be tough having a conversation when the other person doesn't know English well.

Just like the people the sites here are awesome! We walked up and down the Royal Mile, trekked up Arthur's Seat (a 800 to 1000 foot tall highland/hill/escarpment with an amazing view of the city), visited Edinburgh Castle (where they hid the crown jewels in a cellar during WWII and entrusted the Governor of Canada with it's location), stumbled through the Whisky tour (maybe I don't like real scotch as much as I thought, they were very different), and tasted haggis (it really isn't as bad as it sounds, it's kind of like meatloaf.

With all the good times comes bad though; for the past 2 and half days I have been sick. Mostly likely from the tiredness, lack of good food, and not drinking enough water. However, now I'm better and ready spend more money in Edinburgh, about as expensive to London. Tomorrow we fly to cheaper Dublin for some good Irish fun.

That's about it for Edinburgh. I didn't say too much about it, but it is awesome here. I would certainly come back, possibly with a lighter backpack. The pack has been a little heavy but I figure in a week or two it should be no problem. On that note I better go pack it up so that I'm ready for the long haul to the train/bus to the airport tomorrow.

I promise I'll have pictures next time. These hostel computers don't allow to upload anything. Until next time, slainte mhath! (cheers in Scottish).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your first week has gone by very quick, especially with the great times you desribe!
I forgot to remind you that your Gramps was born close by in Troon Scotland and your Great Grandmother in London, where you just visited.
I'll have to try haggis sometime and glad you're feeling better.
Strange the hostel computers don't let you do too much.
The transportation to Dublin sounds interesting.
Have fun and take care,
Dad

mom said...

Hi,
I'm glad you are having so much fun and feeling better.
Your Wilson ancestors are from Ireland, Antrium and Armagh(spelling might be off)
Enjoy the Guiness
Love Mom